Bell peppers stuffed with sausage, rice, tomato sauce, and cheese. YUM! Right?! All of my clients think so, because this dish has made it into the DBCD Top 20! Interestingly enough, when this gets requested, I’m frequently asked to make only the stuffing portion, and skip the red pepper all together.
The recipe below includes the bell pepper portion, and I’ll leave it up to you as to whether or not you’d skip it for your next batch.
THE Minimalist Recipe
- 6 large bell peppers, sliced in half, seeds and membranes removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jar prepared tomato sauce
- 2⅔ cups water
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peppers and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a 12" deep skillet. Add sausage and onions. Cook until sausage is evenly browned. Reduce heat to medium and add in tomato sauce, water, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a low boil. Reduce to low, stir in ¾ of cheese and simmer for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare rice, and then stir into sausage - tomato mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon rice mixture into peppers, placing peppers on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining cheese on peppers and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly. About 10-15 minutes.